test

Monday, June 2, 2014

Two Weeks

I started over eating healthy on the 17th of May, that first week went really well! It wasn't easy but I did my best to count cal's and do some kind of physical activity almost every day.  Shooting for consistency, habit and success.  I lost 6 pounds the first week, actually 6 days, THEN we went to Florida for memorial day weekend. I knew and expected that this would throw things off.  But that's life, you go on vacations, you share birthday cake with family and then you get back to life. I did better the first couple of days when we were able to choose meals. When we got back I had gained 5 lbs, in 4 days! I was sad but I hoped that most of it was water weight and got back on track.

We have been home a week now and I haven't yet reached where I was when we left for Florida, it hasn't come off nearly as quickly as that first week… strange. I've bounced up and down a little through the week. I didn't reach my weekly goal by about 2 lbs. We went to dinner Friday night with a group from Danny's work to celebrate a promotion, that set me back about a pound and a half again. I was surprised because I had barely eating any of my dinner, even though it was whole wheat pasta. But, i've  tried to stay positive and keep up my food journal. The days I lose track of calories and go over or don't exercise at all I don't lose and usually gain. It's hard to track calories when  I cook everything from scratch and often don't measure!  So anyway, still working on it! I hope to meet my monthly goal even if I didn't make my weekly one. I'm shooting for consistency and to continue trying, no matter how long it takes. It took time to put the weight on and I have to be patient with it  coming off. I can look at my week and say, hey I bounced around and lost one pound instead of two, but, I LOST one, instead of gaining one. Or more. And I'm stronger, have more energy, have been eating foods that are better for my body and provided healthy meals for my family. I have gone to bed proud of myself and been much happier and more organized, you have to be organized to do this.  I don't like weighing every day and know this can be unhealthy but for now with trying to figure out what balance of food "works" for my body I have to be aware of how what i'm putting into it is effecting me, ignorance leads to weight gain and lots of it in my case.

One thing i've noticed with with upping my protein and fiber is… bloating! My poor tummy one night looked like i'd swallowed a basketball! It was hard to the touch and painful. I poked around a little bit online and this is common for people who switch to a more clean and whole diet.

We are making Tuesday nights "gym night." And Saturdays as well.  My plan is that doing so will make me get out there and go to the gym for once. We have been paying for a membership for a few months now and gone ONCE.  I try to walk with Rowan most days but it's been getting hot pretty early! And so humid! I put on one of my work out dvd's the other morning and that didn't go too well, I only got in about 10 min with Rowan under foot, clawing at my pant leg, crying, getting stepped on and kicked (accidentally of course!)… we'll figure it out.

Some days I am better at eating all whole and raw than others. And then some days I just want a chocolate chip cookie. I try to drink as much water as I  can, I added cucumber, lemon, strawberries and a dash of cinnamon the other day! It tasted good (cinnamon is supposed to help regulate blood sugar and boost your metabolism.)

We had Spicy Bbq Chicken Pizza last night. The only thing "bad" in it was the bbq sauce.  I made the crust with whole wheat flower and added some flax seed. It was a little tough but thin so it was a nice crunch. Most people top this with fresh cilantro and red onion.
 
 If you didn't know already that Danny and I are mexican food junkies here's the first clue. I made fresh guacamole with avocado, greek yogurt, onion, lime and green chili's. We had black bean quesadillas one evening with fresh salsa and guacamole. Then for the next couple of days I ate black beans, guacamole and salsa over greens for lunch. SO good. Ugh, the guacamole was my downfall.  I ate way too many chips in the name of "not letting it go bad!" YUM.
 This was one vegetarian meal I came up with, I hope to try some more soon.









Tonight I am going to try Pineapple Chicken Teriyaki in the crock pot. With carrots and broccoli over quinoa. We got a pineapple from Costco last week, finally cut it up this weekend but it wasn't a very good one :(. I've since learned how to pick a better pineapple! I need to use it though so adding it to a teriyaki dish is what I came up with.  Cooking from scratch takes a LOT of work and time. I'm trying to simplify things. Tonight I may put chicken, pineapple, carrots, and broccoli in the freezer to make teriyaki another evening. I plan on doing the same when we do a stir fry later this week.

I'm going to try an avocado chocolate smoothy today for lunch! We'll see how that goes lol.

We tried overnight oats a couple of times. They're ok but I just hate when they add up to like a 500 cal breakfast!  Not adding yogurt, peanut butter, or using almond milk helps.


Yesterday was our first day back at church since we lost the baby. I really did have a great week and felt more like myself than I have in a while, I think my hormones have leveled out again. Church was harder than I expected, i'm just going to leave it at that.  Everyone was kind and had good intentions. Some people from the ward "heart attacked" our door with kind little notes and cookies. It was so sweet of them! And I was grateful, that made me cry! Thanks :)

No comments:

Post a Comment